Experimental Seed Science and Technology
ABOUT THE BOOK: Seed is the best bet of nature against the ravages
of time and all other adversities. Man started appreciating the intense and
immense potential of seeds long time ago; further he devised technologies to
harness the insitu potential of seeds. The role of seed and seed technology in
improving the country's food production needs no overemphasis. Today, seeds are
celebrated as a basic tool for secured food supply, a carrier of new
technologies, so on and so forth. Never the less, the seed industry has grown
into a dictator of modern agriculture.
This book is designed such that it takes the initiative to sensitize the students to scientific learning of seed Science and Technology. It contains features to explain, why Seed Science and Technology is an important and practical subject. Each chapter begins with 'Goal' statements. This identifies what the student can expect ot learn through the chapter. The principles and basics of each topic is dealt at length to provide the students all the facts which will prepare them to appreciate the applications of seed Science and Technology. Each Chapter is enriched with 'Activity' section. This guides the students step-by-step, to conduct experiments and learn the intricacies. Sufficient space is provided for incorporation the 'Data and Observations' after conducting each experiment. Sets of review questions called 'Making Sure' have been placed as the concluding part of each chapter. These questions provide another means of self-evaluation. In short, this book is tailor-made to eliminate the need for mechanical task of voluminous record writing and drawing and to motivate the student to think and analyse different aspects of science and technology.
AUTHOR: R. Umarani, R. Jerlin, P. Masilamani, N. Natarajan & A. S. Ponnuswamy | ISBN: 9788177542653 | YEAR: 2008 | PAGES: 252 | SIZE: 18.5 X 25 X 1.5 cm. | BINDING: Hard | LANGUAGE: English
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
1. Dr. R. Umarani The author is an Associate Professor in the Department of Seed Science and Technology, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. She is a recipient of Prize for Best M.Sc (Ag) Student in Seed Technology. She is involved in teaching Seed Science and Technology courses for both under graduate and postgraduate students for the past seven years and also indulged in seed technological research and has guided three students. She has published 30 research papers, one review article and 20 popular articles in National and International journals. Four book, five booklets and three chapters are already in her credit. She has attended training in International Rice Research Institute, Philippines. She is the Principal Investigator of Private funded scheme "Priming and Pelleting for Value added Seeds".
2. Dr. R. Jerlin She is an Associate Professor of Seed Science and Technology, in Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, with 11 years experience in research, teaching and extension activities. She has guided three MSc (Ag) students and published two books, 23 research papers in reputed journals besides 17 popular articles . She has presented many research papers in National and International conferences and also attended National and International trainings.
3. Dr. N. Natarajan He is a Professor of Seed Science and Technology working as Deputy Director of Research in the Directorate of Research, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. He has 20 years of experience in the fields of teaching, research and extension service. He has published two books, 35 research papers in International and National journals and 30 popular articles both in Tamil and English. He has also presented papers in National and International conferences and seminars. He has undergone training in 'Rice Seed Production' in International Rice Research Institute, Philippines.
4. Dr. P. Masilamani The author is an Assistant Professor in Seed Science and Technology at Agricultural Engineering College and Research Institute. TNAU. Kumulur. He teaches Seed Science and Technology courses for B. Tech (Ag) students for the past nine years and is involved in breeder seed production of rice and pulses. He also a specialist in tree seed technological research, 41 research papers, 20 popular articles in National and International journals and three chapters in various books are already in his credit. He has undergone training in "Trees for Arid Land" at Israel.
5. Dr. A. S. Ponnuswamy He is a Professor of Seed Science and Technology, also the Nodal Officer (Seeds) at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. He was formerly the Professor and Head of Department of Seed Science and Technology. He is involved in teaching in seed Science and Technology for both Under graduate and Post graduate for the past 24 years. He has guided 8 students; published 51 research papers and 43 popular articles in National and International journals. He has written eight books and seven manuals. He has attended training on 'Hybrid Rice Seed Production' in China. He has served as Nodal Officer for GOl sponsored scheme on "Implementation of PVP Legislation through DUS Testing under ICAR and SAU systems" and was also the Principal Investigator of two other schemes.
1. Seed Structure and Identification
2. Seed Dormancy
3. Seed Hardening
4. Seed Priming
5. Seed Pelleting
6. Upgradation of Rice Seed Quality
7. Emasculation and Dusting
8. Delinting of Cotton Seed
9. Suoplementary Pollination
10. Seed Extraction Techniques
11. Cultivar Identification
12. Seed Processing
13. Mechanical Injury
14. 14.Blending of Seed Lots
15. Physical and Genetic Contaminants
16. Field Inspection
17. Grow Out Test
18. Seed Certification Agency
19. Seed Sampling
20. Purity Analysis
21. ODV Test
22. Seed Moisture Estimation
23. Seed Germination Test
24. Quick Viability Test
25. Seed Health Test
26. Seed Vigour Test